Networking our local housing champions
Welcome to your one-stop-shop for learning about and engaging with housing solutions in Jefferson County!
Here are some of our emerging projects and updates:
- Read our Summer 2022- Summer Wrap-Up! Newsletter and see what we’ve been up to!
- Come join us at the Under the Tent event on Thursday, September 29th from 5-7pm for a community discussion and educational event on “All Things ADUs”. We hope to see you there!
- Complete our Sanitation Learning Series survey today! Help us decide on topics that are important to you.
- We’ve updated our Mission, Vision, and Values statements to better align with the passion of our network and the needs of our community- take a look!
- Read our new report on the workforce housing crisis: “Serving our Community Through Tough Times: Stories from East Jefferson County Employers
Jefferson County’s Housing Crisis by the Numbers
Jefferson County is the third most unaffordable county in Washington State, following San Juan County.
29% of Jefferson County renters are cost-burdened, paying more than 30% of their income on rent.
Median home prices have increased from $276,600 to $455,900 between 2015-2020; an unbelievable jump of 65% in just five years
The lack of housing is a major barrier to economic development throughout the County. Employers, including the City and County, are losing employees due to housing insecurity.
Rental vacancy rates hover between 0-1% (the national average is around 7%), so that even those with stable incomes simply cannot find available housing
18% of housing units in Jefferson County are vacant, either all year or for a large portion of the year. These are both seasonal and non-seasonal second homes. This lowers the supply of housing and increasing costs for permanent year-round residents.
Jefferson County is full of stories of struggle and stories of hope. Here, you’ll find personal stories of those who have been impacted by our housing crisis, as well as those who are making a difference.