Tiny Homes and ADUs
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) and tiny homes are becoming increasingly popular as a way for communities to create more affordable living options (not clear on the difference between the two? Read this article!). Here are a few resources to get you started in thinking about buying, building or living in a tiny home!
The County defines an ADU as, “an additional dwelling unit either in or added to an existing single family detached dwelling, or in a separate accessory structure on the same lot as the main structure, for use as a complete, independent living facility with provisions within the accessory dwelling unit for cooking, eating, sanitation and sleeping.”
In both Port Townsend and Jefferson County, if you are building an ADU on a lot with an existing home, the owner of the single family home must occupy either the primary unit or the ADU if you plan to rent one out.
- Bayside Housing’s new tiny home program is working with homeowners to place tiny homes on their property. Learn more here.
- If you are a tiny home owner (or hope to be) and want to live with others in community, Quimper Housing Development Cooperative exists to support those looking to participate in housing cooperatives, co-housing, or co-buying developments. For more information, contact Viki Sonntag at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The County is considering an update to its ADU policy that would allow for more small units per parcel. Contact Planning Commissioner Matt Sircely at email@example.com to learn more.
- The Community Boat Project is shifting their focus from boat building to tiny home building. Learn about and support their efforts at their website.
- Live in a tiny home alongside others – Port Townsend EcoVillage
- Buy a tiny house from a local builder – Green Pod Development, Quimper Tiny Homes
- Used tiny home listings – TinyHouseListings.com
- Build a tiny house/ ADU – Port Townsend School of Woodworking Tiny Home Course, BuildinganADU.com, TheTinyLife.com, TinyHouseBuild.com
- Plans and Designs – TheTinyLife.com, ADUDesigns.com