Stay Housed: Tenant & Landlord Education

Click on the image to be redirected to the City of PT Municipal Code. Additional Questions? Contact Code Compliance Officer KT LaBadie at or call City Hall at (360) 379-5094


Attention! New Rental Increase Notice for City of Port Townsend Renters + Landlords.


Updated Rental Information


For more helpful information click on the image to check out our Housing Resources Page!

Recent Changes to WA State Law Regarding Notices to Vacate and Non-Renewal of Lease

In the 2021 legislative season, new laws were passed to help keep people housed. The biggest change to state law is that landlords must now have a “good” reason for making a tenant leave, or failing to renew a lease. There are different amounts of notice time that landlords must give depending on what that reason is.

Read the Washington Law Help guide to this new law.

Here are some of the most common scenarios. But note that these don’t apply to all tenants. Read the document linked above to see what rental situations do not qualify. 

  • A landlord is required to give a tenant 90 day notice if they decide to sell the rental.
  • A landlord is required to give a tenant 120 day notice if they plan to demolish or renovate the rental.
  • A landlord is required to give 90 day notice if they or their
    immediate family needs to move into the rental unit.

Generally, a tenant is required to give 20 days notice that they intend to leave a rental.

Eviction Moratorium Information

The Washington State eviction moratorium ended on June 30, 2021 and the CDC moratorium is no longer in place. Governor Inslee issued a “bridge” proclamation to provide some statewide eviction protections until October 30st, 2021. 

In Jefferson County, our Superior Court has adopted the Eviction Resolution Pilot Program, which is designed to help landlords and tenants resolve matters together, rather than engaging in official eviction proceedings through the court. Our court system is requiring that:

  • Landlords give tenants official notice about local rent assistance, mediation and legal assistance resources. These resources are also listed below.
  • Landlords make an effort to engage with tenants about rental repayment before filing the official eviction paperwork (unlawful detainer action) with the court.
View the Mandatory Eviction Resolution Pilot Program Scenarios flowchart, effective November 1st 2021.

Act now to prevent a future eviction:

Tenants, if you get an official notice like this, inviting you to participate the Eviction Resolution Pilot Program, you need to respond to your landlord within 14 days, indicating that “YES” you would like to negotiate a reasonable repayment plan and avoid eviction. If you do not respond, your landlord will be able to start the eviction process with the court system once the CDC moratorium and statewide eviction protections end.

What about the other updates to Landlord Tenant Laws?

Check out this new Interactive Summary of Landlord Tenant Laws, which covers the Bridge Proclamation and the new tenant protections created by HB1236 and SB5160

Rent Assistance

OlyCAP is administering federal and state rent assistance funds through the Treasury Rent Assistance Program (T-RAP). Landlords and tenants can visit OlyCAP’s Housing Services webpage to learn about the program qualifications, to find the required documents, and to apply for OlyCAPs rent assistance online. Rent assistance is meant to help everyone, no matter what your citizenship or immigration status. Applying for rent assistance will not harm any immigration application you file. 

Dispute Resolution Centers

The Peninsula Dispute Resolution Center can help landlords and tenants negotiate and create reasonable repayment plans for unpaid rent. To learn more about the conflict coaching, conciliation and mediation services available through their center, watch the “Eviction Resolution Program – How It Works” video on the Resolution Washington website. The video is in both English and Spanish. Inquire about eviction resolution services at (360) 452-8024.

Legal Assistance

You can read the latest legal information on eviction prevention and link to legal resources on the Washington Law Help website. Visit the “Can my landlord evict me now” page for answers to frequently asked questions.

If your landlord is threatening to evict you, it is important to get legal help right away.

If you do not qualify for free legal aid and want to learn more about eviction, Washington Law Help publishes forms, packets, and checklists to help people navigate the legal process. Here are some helpful links to get started:

Lastly, there are changes in Washington’s landlord tenant law that went into effect July 1, 2021. Eviction for any reason other than not payment of rent must now follow specific rules and notification periods. To learn more about the new statewide “just cause” protections, visit the Washington Low Income Housing Alliance’s Eviction Process Overview page.

Fair Housing Act & Landlord-Tenant Law Resources

There are two sets of laws that protect tenants and landlords and define the basic framework of responsibilities between people who enter a landlord-tenant relationship. Fair Housing Laws pertain to how a rental is advertised and how a tenant is chosen. If a rental is posted in a public venue (online or physical space), it is subject to Fair Housing Act laws. Landlord-Tenant Act laws apply to the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords once they have entered into a rental agreement. Both sets of laws are critical to ensuring equal housing opportunity, safe living environments, and a basic framework for landlord-tenant interactions.

Housing Solutions Network does not assist with, address, or offer advice related to potential violations of these laws, this is simply a list of informative resources.

Fair Housing Laws 101 – A thorough introduction to Fair Housing laws

Fair Housing Center of Washington – The main organization in Washington dedicated to ensuring fair housing for all

Landlord-Tenant Act – This is a brochure that covers some basic rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants in Washington State

“Your Rights as a Tenant in Washington State” – Washington Law Help’s breakdown of LTA laws

Northwest Justice Project – The main organization in Washington dedicated to assisting tenants know their rights